In India, Jyotish is still commonly used to aid in important decisions in life. In Hindu culture, newborns are traditionally named based on their Jyotish charts (Nama Nakshatra), and Jyotish concepts are pervasive in the compilation of the calendar and holidays as well as in many areas of life. Astrology is perceived to be vital in Indian culture, in making decisions made about marriage, opening a new business, and moving into a new home.
Vedic astrology has three main branches:
- Siddhanta (Astronomy).
- Samhita (Mundane astrology).
- Ganitha (Mathematical Astrology).
The above three branches covers the following branches also:-
- Hora (Predictive astrology): This branch has the following different styles / sub branches:- Jaatak Sastra / Hora Sastra (Natal Astrology / horoscopy): Prediction based on individual horoscope.
- Muhurtha (Electional astrology): Selection of beneficial time to initiate an activity to get maximum fruition from the life activities.
- Swara Sastra (Phonetical astrology): Predictions based on name & sounds.
Prashna (Horary astrology):Predictions based on time, when a question is asked by querent / querist.
- AnkJyotisha / Kabala (Numerology): A branch of astrology based on numbers.
- Naadi Astrology: An ancient treatise having detailed predictions for individuals.
Tajik Sastra / Varsha Phal (Annual Horoscopy): Astrology based on annual solar returns.
- Jaimini Sutras: A non-conventional method of timing of events based on famous Indian astrologer, Acharya Jaimini.
- Nastajaatakam (Lost Horoscopy): Art of tracing / construction of lost horoscopes.
- Streejaatakam (femalehoroscopy): A special branch of astrology dealing with female nativities.
Other related branches
- Graha Samudriki (Astro-Palmistry): Palm reading as horoscope.
- Hasta Rekha / Samudrika Sastra: Based on palm reading.
- Padatala Sastra (Plantarology): Based on reading of lines & signs on the sole.
- Shakuna Sastra (Omens): Predictions based on omens & portents.
- Swapna Vidhya : Interpretation of dreams.
- Kapala Vidya (Phrenology)
- Aakriti Vidya (Physiognomy): Based on structure & moles on the body.
- Kerala Jyotish: Predictions based on querrist’s response regarding name of flower or colour, or touching the part of body.
- Remedial Astrology: Various modes of propitiation of planets based on planetary positions in nativity, transits, elections & for religious functions.